OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community Explore3DTV TechLore DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 2053510.0
February 6, 2009 05:37 PM

Categories: Setup and Installation

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Steven

I have an HP MediaSMart Server and I previously installed a McAfee free trial version supplied by HP as an add  in. This was installed through the Windows Home Server Console as an add in.

I just purchased  Total Protection from McAffee through the link within the server console. How do I install this program through the WHS console? It includes a link that I can click to begin the installation from a web browser on any computer it is to be installed on, but does not seem to be designed for my HP Smartmedia Server.

Has anyone successfully installed this software? Your tips are really appreciated!

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-25 of 31 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

February 6, 2009 5:52 PM

Everybody uninstalls that software after installing it :P

February 6, 2009 6:24 PM

What is the best anti virus solution?

February 20, 2009 7:31 PM

What you have to do is uninstall mcafee from the HP Media Smart Home Server. Go to the MediaSmart Server icon, under Server Add-ins click configure. Go to the Installed Tab. Uninstall McAfee Total Protection. Once uninstalled you have to install again. Go to already a current user (must have mcafee purchesed already), put in your account enrollment key (you have to log in to mcafee, then click my account, and you will find it). Once this is done it is all set.

March 28, 2009 1:08 PM

Hi! Maybe you could help me, as well. I have tried the above steps, but seems like there is something missing between the step of unintalling and installing. I mean, where should I be when you say "Go to already a current user...." At this point, I was on the Home Server. I presume this is the mcafee site.

No matter what I do, Mcafee seems to want to install the software to my PC, and NOT the home server. How do you get the "new" addin (From my renewal) to the Home server?
Thanks for any help/guidance!

Pat

Boise, ID
EX475 w/ 3Tb storage on 2 500Gb mechs, 2 1TB mechs

March 28, 2009 4:23 PM

I gave up trying to install the McAfee software I purchased and installed a trial version of Avast! that was made for WHS. It installed easily and took care of my anti-virus needs.

I immediately called McAffee and got them to credit me for the purchase price.

March 29, 2009 3:04 PM

They have a version made just for WHS? Really...I will have to check out their site. This should be MUCH easier ...oh...and a set of instructions! Now would that not be great. My thinking is: If they hawk this software INSIDE the server as an addin, then by golly they better tell you how to install it.

I will check out avast

Boise, ID

April 2, 2009 8:12 AM

The "Already a current user" is when you are installing McAffee again from the Home Server. This is on of the options you are given to select...

April 4, 2009 8:40 PM

Yeah..what a pain to upgrade to the full version. I read through the posts and found the answer to uninstall the add-in, then reinstall the add-in and enter in the key that was provided when I purchased the upgrade. There should be better instructions, then again, that's why this forum is here! It all works fine now. I thought about installing another company's software but felt comfortable that HP had McAfee on this platform. I use AVG on all my other home comnputers.

Thanks....

April 4, 2009 11:18 PM

The avast whs is cool for if you are using avast elsewhere. Once installed, from the HP server, you can control the virus software on your other home network PCs (using avast).

Boise, ID

April 7, 2009 2:40 AM

I just purchased an extension to the McAfee Total Protection Service on my HP WHS.

However when I log into the WHS Console and click on the McAfee tab, I am asked to "Activate Now". When I go through the activation screens, I am asked for my "current account enrollment key".

I have looked in my account on mcafee.com and mcafeeasap.com and I cannot find anything called that. I have also tried the various numbers in the emails I received from McAfee - nothing works.

I did receive a number called a "GRANT NUMBER" - however that does not work either.

Thx for any help you can give.

April 8, 2009 5:08 PM

you have to log in to mcafee, then click my account, and you will find the "account enrollment key"

April 11, 2009 4:34 PM

Yeah...tried all that...I was never given the option to see an enrollment key, even though their web site specficially takes you to the menu where it is supposed to be. Very strange. Finally got a refund and installed avast. Works great.

Boise, ID

April 11, 2009 4:37 PM updated: April 11, 2009 4:38 PM

Save the trouble SAM...you won't find it....the enrollment key is only for "consumer" products, but Total Protection is a CORPORATE product. Wait til you try to call them and get support for a corporate product on a home / consumer server.

Boise, ID

April 11, 2009 8:27 PM updated: June 26, 2009 9:26 AM

I suggest you look around here (and over at , searching on McAfee. Given the number of folks having problems with it in various flavors on their WHS/MSS units I recommend that you take a serious look at Avast! or F-Secure.

...JohnBick

September 17, 2009 8:35 PM updated: September 17, 2009 8:38 PM

It ain't easy to find... You have to log in to McAfee Security Center website, then click the "My Account" tab (do NOT use the drop down under My Account), then click on the "Accounts & Keys" tab, and then FINALLY, you will see the "Account Enrollment Key" section. Mine was a six-digit alpha key.

October 20, 2009 2:24 AM

Based on the recommendations here, I just installed avast on my server and it was a breeze. The console now shows that avast is active. The only problem is that I am still getting a "network health at risk" warning in the system tray of my laptop. When I open the Windows Home Server Console and click the "network at risk" exclamation mark in the top bar, a window pops up telling me that McAfee Total Protection Service is ready to install. Don't want to do that. I have avast now. Is McAfee so embedded in the server that it causes these warnings when McaFee is removed, even after other protection is obtained? Lame.

October 20, 2009 7:37 AM

rumremix said: Based on the recommendations here, I just installed avast on my server and it was a breeze. The console now shows that avast is active. The only problem is that I am still getting a "network health at risk" warning in the system tray of my laptop. When I open the Windows Home Server Console and click the "network at risk" exclamation mark in the top bar, a window pops up telling me that McAfee Total Protection Service is ready to install. Don't want to do that. I have avast now. Is McAfee so embedded in the server that it causes these warnings when McaFee is removed, even after other protection is obtained? Lame.
It's because the installer for McAfee is still in the Add-ins folder. Remove the file from there and the warning will clear....

"everything will be ok in the end. if it's not ok, it's not the end" - unknown

October 20, 2009 12:11 PM

Thanks for the tip, Pardizzone.

I did suspect that was the issue and went to that folder to remove the McAfee installer. However, the only files currently in the ad-ins folder aside from the avast installer are called TopWHSaddin.msi and TwonkyMediaServer2.msi. Neither of these is easily identifiable as the McAfee installer by name (by design, perhaps?) But after a quick google search it appears that TopWHSaddin.msi is the McAfee installer. I will remove it. I actually already solved the issue (sort of) by clicking "ignore this issue" next to the warning in the console. This at least made the warning go away and turned my health status to green.

Seems wrong to me that the presence of the McAfee installer should trigger the health risk warning. Rather, it would be better for the warning to be triggered by the absence of any virus protection. But what do I know.

October 20, 2009 2:45 PM

It's actually just telling you that there is an Addin in the Addin directory that isn't installed. It will do that on "any" addin you drop in there without installing.

"everything will be ok in the end. if it's not ok, it's not the end" - unknown

October 20, 2009 3:11 PM

Good to know. But perhaps it could say simply "you have an addin that has not been installed" instead of "network health is at risk!" The latter seems inappropriate and made me suspicious that it was worded to frighten users into installing McAfee.

October 20, 2009 3:38 PM

But if you click on the "network health at risk" in the console, it'll tell you the addon is ready to install :o

October 20, 2009 5:41 PM

Yes, i.e. you better install this addon or your network health will continue to be at risk. But the fact was that there was no risk to network health.

As I am new to this device, I am still learning to read between the lines. In the future I will pay more attention to what the alerts mean, rather than what they say. :)

November 13, 2009 12:50 AM

Hello, I have a McAfee Enterprise 8.5 license, so as it was conflicting with the WHS one (I have a HP ex 485) I uninstall it (via the control panel, not via the add-ins)
Now the enterprise is install but doesn't start well as it stay green for 1 min or 2 and become red. What should I do? should I re-install the mcafee addins, where can I find it's installer? Does the enterprise version should work with WHS? thanks for your help

Wil

November 13, 2009 9:28 AM

I think the best advice has been spelled out in this post - get rid of McAfee!

November 13, 2009 10:07 AM

For sanity sake, folks. Please stay away from McAfee.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-25 of 31 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

close this window
close this window