We have 2 write ups on the new Gen8 MicroServer from HP.
First up CRN:
"...does include such ProLiant Gen8 features as Intelligent Provisioning for quick and simple installation and setup, instant out-of-box server set up and deployment, remote management technology, and proactive health monitoring."
Next is Justin's IT Blog:
"IT has an internal MicroSD card slot on the board! Perfect for installing ESXi on!"
With the release of the Personal Online Backup Host (OBH) software, we have teamed up with electrongoo to offer you an exclusive.
For a limited time we can offer you a 15% discount off the price of a first year subscription by using the coupon code OBH15FROMMSWHS during checkout.
OBH would normally cost you $15 for one user for one year, but using this coupon code makes it just $12.75. The three user price is normally $25 and with 15% off, that makes it just $21.25. and if you require more users the savings are even more.
You crab this deal whilst it lasts from here.
Save 15% Off Personal Online Backup Host (OBH) Software is a post from: MS Windows Home Server - Your Personal Guide to Microsoft Windows Home Server!
Episode 227 of "The Home Server Show" podcast is all about the new Gen8 MicroServer from HP:
"There is a new MicroServer in town but what makes it better than the last generation? Listen in to hear all the details and whether or not you should get the last gen or step up to the new Gen8 MicroServer."
You can find this latest episode here.
The Home Server Show Podcast Episode 227 - Gen8 MicroServer is a post from: MS Windows Home Server - Your Personal Guide to Microsoft Windows Home Server!
StableBit DrivePool for WS2012 Essentials has had an update.
Version 188.8.131.526 BETA has the following change:
- [D] Fixed critical bug in FastIoQueryNetworkOpenInfo that was causing a system crash.
[D] = Driver was modified (reboot required after update)
You can download this beta release from here.
This second article
The first part of this article series provided a high-level overview of the Personal Online Backup Host service and its supporting technologies (Archive Manager and the Explorer add-in). Hopefully it also provided ideas on how the service can work for you at home or in your small business. This second article will focus on configuring your server for web hosting on the internet.
The OBH service is not for the typical computer end-user. While it does include easy to read documentation and simple one-click setup installer packages, there is a bit of "digging in" to configure your Windows operating system based web server and Internet Information Services (IIS). This setup is not too difficult but it does require a small amount of technical savvy, motivation, and attentiveness to detail.
The good news is that if your server is already enabled for internet web hosting then you can skip this article and jump directly to
electrongoo the company behind add-in's such as Archive Manager, ISO Mounter, Snoop De Dupe, Integrity Checker and Time Traveler for WHS have today announced the release of Personal Online Backup Host (OBH) software.
OBH allows individual users and/or small business to host their own online backup service. They provide the server, storage, and bandwidth and electrongoo provides the web hosting software (which runs on the server) and backup software (running on Windows PC clients to be protected online).
While supporting integrated dashboard support for WHS 2011 and Server 2012 Essentials, the software does support other versions of Windows Server as a native stand-alone application as well.
OBH is a unique product allowing people to not only save money but to secure their data on their own server and remove third-party storage dependencies.
A full-featured 60-day free trial is available for download, after which OBH will cost you $15 for 1 user, with discounts available for 3 or more users.
The quick spec guide for the new Gen8 MicroServer is up at HP's website.
The guide goes through the front and rear view of HP's newest incarnation of the MicroServer and gives us all the specification for the Gen8.
There is lots of information here, for the would be purchaser or if you just want to check out the latest info on the Gen8 MicroServer.
Update Rollup 2 (UR2) for Windows Server 2012 Essentials has been released.
UR2 fixes 3 major issues and also adds support for the Port Bonjour feature of Mac connector to Windows Server 2012 Essentials.
Here's the issues which are now resolved:
- Issue 1 - Assume that you have the Microsoft Office 365 Integration feature enabled on a Windows Server 2012 Essentials-based computer. After you install update 2781267, and then restart the server, the Office 365 integration service crashes.
- Issue 2 - Assume that you install update 2781267 on a Windows Server 2012 Essentials-based computer. When you change the user access level or folder permissions in the User Properties dialog box, a warning dialog box might appear, and the operation fails.
- Issue 3 - After you install update 2781267, you cannot enable Office 365 by using the following Windows PowerShell cmdlet: Enable-O365Integration
The update is available for download from Windows Update on WS2012e machines.
My Movies Home and Essentials Server Solution has a pre-release version for users of WHS2011 and WS2012 Essentials.
Version 2.14 PR1 has the following change log:
- Added: Title merge functionality, to better handle copying multi-disc titles.
- Fix: If a copied disc was not first disc of a title, the online location got added to the wrong disc.
- Fix: If AnyDVD was updated, which required a restart, and the server was not restarted, copied discs would be not functional. Now discs can't copy until the restart have been done.
You can find this latest pre-release here.
The beta build of StableBit Scanner for WHS2011, SBS 2011 Essentials, Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials and WS2012 Essentials has been updated to version 184.108.40.20626 / 2927 BETA.
This release only has the 1 fix:
- Fixed a bug in the UI causing excessive CPU consumption.
You can download this beta release from here.
With the popularity of the HP ProLiant MicroServer, HP today announced a new generation of the MicroServer named Gen8. Available in 2 configurations the G1610T model comes with a 2 Core Intel Celeron G1610T processor (2.3 GHz, 2MB, 35W) and 2GB RAM for $449, whilst the $529 G2020T model comes with the beefier 2 core Intel Pentium G2020T processor (2.5 GHz, 3MB, 35W) and again 2GB of RAM.
Both models will except up to 16GB of RAM across two DIMM slots, and have a Dynamic Smart Array B120i/ZM storage controller and Gigabit Ethernet controller with twin ports. A nice addition to earlier models.
The HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 is a small, quiet, and stylishly designed server that is ideal as a first server solution for small businesses. With a form factor that is easy to use and service, it helps small businesses drive down their expenses while improving productivity, efficiency, and security.
4SYSOPS have a three part series looking at WS2012 Essentials and how it fits as a modern SMB IT solution.
The first part of the series covers installation and transmogrification, (which you can find here.) Part 2 looks at cloud integration with Office 365 and on premises systems. When published part 3 will look at advancements in Windows Server 2012 itself and how these can be applied in WSE as well as mobile management options.
WS2012e and how it fits as a Modern SMB IT Solution is a post from: MS Windows Home Server - Your Personal Guide to Microsoft Windows Home Server!
Episode 124 of the BYOB podcast is up:
"This week BYOB joins Jim Collision from the average guy network to talk about using VM's in the home environment. Mike talks briefly about his first round with Haswell. A special thanks to Jim for hosting and recording the show."
You can find it here.
The Jwolf Tech Broadcast have a 11 minute video on his personal WHS project using some server components with an Intel i3:
"As the need for mass storage increases more and more people are looking into NAS units and home servers. Having built my own home server I wanted to give a review of my overall general experience with everything."
Paul Thurrott has a review on the next release of WS2012 Essentials. Known as Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 Paul has reviewed the Preview version on his site, Supersite for Windows.
Cloud related changes and integrated Office 365 are in this release. As are connecting Windows Phones, iPhones, iPads, and Android devices:
"These devices can be controlled (through Office 365) with Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) capabilities like Remote Wipe and device blocking, and you can configure EAS policies right from the Essentials R2 Dashboard."
Remote Web Access has had a makeover and looks like the SkyDrive web interface and the Launchpad is now closed on startup by default too.
Whilst Paul was allowed a sneak peek at this latest incarnation of WS2012 Essentials, the rest of us will have to wait until the end of June for the Preview release.
Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 Sneak Peek is a post from:
The beta build of StableBit Scanner for WHS2011, SBS 2011 Essentials, Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials and Windows Server 2012 Essentials has been updated.
Version 220.127.116.1122 / 2923 has the following change log:
- Disk temperature will now be reported in either Celsius or Fahrenheit (see Scanner Settings -> Heat). It defaults to your regional settings in Windows.
- Added 'Case' and 'Bay' to email notifications.
- If the disk's SMART data provides an attribute for temperature, then use that to determine if the disk is hot. Use the user specified value (in Scanner Settings) if it's lower.
- Deselect any selected quick settings profiles when user makes a manual change to settings.
- Added past due setting to quick settings profiles:
- Server 14 days.
- Generic 30 days.
- If the service or the computer crashes while an ongoing scan is in progress, the scan progress prior to the crash will not be lost.
It's time for another episode of "The Home Server Show" podcast, and on this week's episode:
"I finally join the Microserver club and we will talk about my new purchase and everything that has leaked about the new Microserver Gen8 server. One forum member has an exclusive find about the new member to the Microserver family and we talk some more cloud offerings as well as a new entrant into the Windows Home Server 2011 market. Gigabyte?"
You can find episode 226 here.
Drive Bender for WHS2011, SBS Essentials 2011 and Server 2012 Essentials has been updated to version 18.104.22.168.
Here is the change log:
- Bug fix: Under heavy load a mount point can hang requiring a reboot.
- Update: Dependencies have been removed from a number of services.
- Update: Improved service start up times.
- Update: A number of changes have been made to the installer.
- Bug fix: A number of minor bug fixes have been made to the core service.
- Update: Major upgrade to a number of key components to support features coming in v2.
- Bug fix: Changing the last accessed, modified and creation time stamp on a folder failed.
- Added: A pool refresh button has been added to the pool tab.
- Added: Email notifications can now be sent using a fixed server, therefore only a target email address is required.
- Update: Improved driver upgrade process.
You can download this release from here
StableBit DrivePool for WS2012 Essentials users had had an update.
Version 22.214.171.1245 BETA has the following change log:
- [D] Added support for:
[D] = Driver was modified (reboot required after update)
As always you can find the download link here.