OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community Explore3DTV TechLore DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 298731.0
August 7, 2011 07:18 PM

Categories: Networking and Remote Access

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

KMaust

I am having a major issue as i cannot connect to my home server.  When i used to start my machine up there would be a little green house in the lower right that showed i was connected to my server.  Now when i turn on my pc is is gray and says home server is not connected.

I thought it may be my router or wifi so i tried connecting the home server directly into my pc with the ethernet cable and nothing.  It still is gray and when i try to connect to the server using \\server name\music or any other folder it says it cannot find the server.  Any thoughts to what is going on here?

I am using Windows XP

Fios internet and router. 

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-6 of 6 | Latest Comment

August 9, 2011 4:02 PM

I am having the same issue, and have been for a month. I cannot connect to my server via Remote Access, through the console or through windows explorer. I keep getting the message that the server is not accessible.

I changed my router and set the server to a new static IP. The router is seeing the server as it shows the IP address is assigned to the HP server. I can ping the IP address and get a response. But the server does not show up in my network.

This started happening about a month ago. Sometimes, if I reboot, I can see the server for about 1 min before I lose access again.

Anyone have a fix for this? I cannot even reinstall the WHS connector, because it tries to download the software from the server, which it cannot see.

August 20, 2011 12:25 PM

Any one have any suggestions for us?

November 11, 2011 4:24 PM updated: November 11, 2011 5:01 PM

Oh dear...same problems, same timeline as you two.  I hope this isn't some sort of a worm/network attack.  The router sees it with an assigned IP, but while I can ping it, there's no connection to network shares, the WHS connecter software, or remote access.

It isn't my computer firewalls or my router firewall.  I've tried an old router which I've also used the server successfully with in the past, to no effect.  Different cables, different ports on the router, too.

My one moment of reprieve was when I took the master disk with the WHS OS on it and put it in a hot-swappable SATA bay in my Win 7 64bit computer and restarted, allowing it to run chkdsk and fix errors.  For two days I had the fastest, most reliable server in the nearly three years I've owned it.  It streamed beautifully and reliably from remote like it hadn't done for me before.  The one evening I got a warning that the server was overheating after which I IMMEDIATELY shut it down, waited, and when I restarted...back to this. Yes, the fans all seem to run well.

The data onboard is necessary and extra hard drives for backup of these backups just went through the roof due to the flooding in Thailand.  I'm out of warranty and out of ideas.  Anybody? 

November 12, 2011 7:21 AM

This happened to me and it was a system drive failure. I had to replace the system drive. Start with this addin that will analyse the health of your drives and let you know if you need to replace:
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/Freebies/HomeServerSMART.aspx

I'm not an expert and you will need to do more research on the procedure to follow to replace your drive. A real pain but I'm now back up and running with a new WD black HD. The bad drive was the original Seagate 1 MG drive that came with the server. Good luck!

November 12, 2011 9:32 AM

Realcap...thanks for your advice.  You may indeed be right about the system drive being the culprit.  As far as the addin you suggested, unfortunately if I could get into my system to add addins, I've have no problem!Wink I will try it when and if I get running again, though.

I'll have to search up some advice on how to replace a main drive, and unfortunately now have the second step of waiting until either Thailand dries out or hard drive production ramps up elsewhere. 

These are great suggestions, folks.  Keep'em coming, since apparently lots of folks scattered all over various forums have mystery disconnects with these damned things.  How tough is it to replace an HP MediaSmart NIC in case that becomes a possibility, for example?

November 12, 2011 5:28 PM

i just wanted to post a foll-up and i purchased an external usb hard drive dock and found my main system drive failed. I purchased a new hard drive and completed the server recovery via the CD's that came with the Mediasmart server and now everything is back up and running.

Only good note is now i have a new WD Caviar Black 2 TB as my main hard drive. It was a pain in the butt as i had to copy all my data off my hard drives as when you add them to the mediasmart server it formats them and erases all the data.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-6 of 6 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

close this window
close this window