OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community Explore3DTV TechLore DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 469327.0
June 13, 2011 07:43 PM

Categories: Networking and Remote Access

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

GrantB

To all networking gurus... help :)

Right now I have a WRT310N router in my office downstairs. With it I have wireless access pretty much all over the house. My wife is asking me to try and get the signal stronger so she has a signal in our front and back yards so she can use her laptop outside.

I have an old WRT54G V8.1 router sitting in the basement and I've heard that you can use them to extend the wireless signal by setting it up as an access point. I can easily run a ethernet line upstairs to connect it to the WRT310N but don't know how to set them up to talk to each other and have them act like one network. If anyone could help me on that I would really appreciate it.

Also, I have another question... would that be Ok speed wise or would it be better to purchase another wireless N router (either get a better version as the primary or just a basic N router to use upstairs to connect to the WRT310N?

TIA and Cheers,
Grant

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

June 14, 2011 9:31 AM

If you can run a line upstairs move the wireless router upstairs. That should improve the range of the wireless. If not you can flash DD-WRT to the old router. I did it with a WRT54G Version 3. The you can set it up as an access point or a switch or even still use it as a router. Initially mine was used to provide the XBOX 360 access to the internet. Later just by changing a few setting it was used as a switch. Just search for it and follow the instructions. The instructions are very detailed and it worked well.

August 23, 2011 3:17 PM updated: August 23, 2011 11:13 PM

Update...

I just recieved a Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway from my cable supplier. It is a cable modem with wireless N and 4 gigabit ports. With this in my office, I can move my WRT310N upstairs to increasse the wireless signal. What I need to know is the best way to set up the WRT310N. I'd like to leave it as is without putting DD-WRT or Tomato on it. Any info would be helpful.

Cheers,
Grant

Edit - I was looking at the Cisco DPC3825 Setup pages and it allows you to have a wireless repeater hooked up to it - but I don't know if it needs to have the WRT310N hooked up to it by ethernet cable or not. This brought up another thought. The WRT310N has 4 gigabit ports on it and I have a cat5e cable run upstairs to a media player. I set the WRT310N up and disabled the wireless till I get that figured out, then plugged the cable from the Cisco DPC3825 to the internet port on the WRT310N and then the media player to one of the 4 ports. I did not work... any ideas on that?

August 31, 2011 2:05 PM

Just wanted to let anyone else looking to do this, I found an answer on the Cisco Home Community forum. It lead me to an article in the Knowledgebase. I followed the directions and it seems to work. It can be found here:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=785463d9ecaf4cac84aed245b08...

Cheers,
Grant

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

close this window
close this window