OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community Explore3DTV TechLore DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 299348.0
July 11, 2010 03:08 PM

Categories: Hard Drives/Storage

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

RAH

Hi,

It's time to add to my ex475's original 2 x 500gb drives.  Ideally I'd like to add 2x 2TB Western Digital Green drives (WD20EADS), but I read on the HP spec sheet for the ex475 (http://h20247.www2.hp.com/hho/downloads/MSS%20EX470%20EX475%20r2a%20sl%2010%2012%2007.pdf

) that there is a maximum storage capacity limit of 4TB.  However, I've read that others have successfully exceeded that?

Any thoughts or advice on if this is possible, if people have had problems with larger than 4TB total capacities, or work arounds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ronan. 

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

July 11, 2010 3:43 PM updated: July 11, 2010 3:51 PM

Ok you have misread the document because they say:

"Maximum storage capacity •
Only limited by number of hard drive bays (4) and USB ports (4). Example: Using
Using 500GB hard drives, maximum 4 terabytes (total supported capacity of all
all internal and external drives connected to HP MediaSmart Server)."

By that they mean Only Limited by the Number of Hard Drive bays & USB Ports & Hard Drive Sizes.. i.e. 4 bays 1.5TB Drives = 6TB or 4 bays 2.0TB + 3 1.5TB USB Drives would equal = 12.5TB or if you take the fact that you have 4 bays, and 4 USB Ports [3 on back 1 on front] & 1 eSATA port, that = 9x say 2.0TB would equal 18TB total.
When I redone my server to factory I swapped out the original 500GB drive for a 1.5TB I had on hand and replaced the drive then.
So you are bound to the number of drives you can attach and by their size limitations... thats it. Max it out man! Thats what I'm doing with what I got..though have plenty of room to go. Oh and remember if you use Grid Junction, you have to use 1 USB port for that to work.

Ok have a good time! Here's a good thread too on what people do w their servers... and mine is on the 2nd page - http://www.homeserverland.com/forums/f/52/t/1174.aspx

Swp~

WHS EX475 4TB

July 11, 2010 4:00 PM

Thanks a mill for the quick reply. I understand now. Drives are on order :)

..and for the link. It looks like I have some catching up to do with my mods!

R.

July 11, 2010 7:06 PM

I have not had any problems with my 4.09 TB of storage space (besides 60% full) and that includes a 2TB Western Digital Green SATA Disk Device (WD20EADS).

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-3 of 3 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

close this window
close this window