OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community Explore3DTV TechLore DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 848839.0
June 27, 2010 09:05 AM

Categories: Backup and Restore

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Weatherdoc

I've been backing up my Windows 7 and Windows Vista PC's for many months on my EX470 with no problems except having to run a chkdsk on my 7 machine a couple times a month when the backup fails. I am noiw getting a backup error that is identical from both PC's:

Failure Details for Volume (Local Disk):

An error occurred reading or writing from server storage.
D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\GlobalCluster.4096.dat
Readfile

I have run checkdsk on both PC's and rebooted the server. I get the same error for an automatic or manual backup. I have plenty of free space on the server.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-10 of 10 | Latest Comment

June 27, 2010 9:12 AM

That folder is on the server. There is likely something corrupt in the backups database. Try a repair of the database from the console. If that fails you may need to delete the backups to clear the error.

"everything will be ok in the end. if it's not ok, it's not the end" - unknown

June 27, 2010 9:14 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I just started the repair...we'll see how it goes!

June 27, 2010 9:40 AM

The server states that the repair ran successfully but after I tried the backup again, it failed with the same error. I ran the repair again, then ran the Backup Cleanup (based on the help from Microsoft web site) and received the following error:

An error in the backup service is preventing the cleanup operation.

Any other suggestions?

June 27, 2010 9:51 AM

It looks like the backups are stored in the referenced D:\ folder. Is it safe to simply delete the .dat files in the referenced folder:

D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}

I think I should backup my critical data on each PC to an external USB drive before deleting the .dat files on the server. Make sense?

Answers Post June 27, 2010 10:21 AM

BAcking up your data to an external drive is up to you. I would delete the database and then do a full backup of all clients once the server is straightened out. I would do the following:

Deleting the Backup Database
You may want to delete the entire backup database from your home server to reclaim the disk space. The backup database is stored entirely in the folder D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.

To delete the backup database on your Windows Home Server

1. Run mstsc.exe to start a Remote Desktop Connection session to your home server.

2. Open a Command Prompt, Click Start, Run and type CMD
3. Type net stop PDL.
4. Type net stop WHSBackup to stop the Windows Home Server Backup service.
5. Delete the contents of D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}. Do not delete the folder.
6. Type net start WHSBackup to restart the Windows Home Server Backup service.
7. Type net start PDL.

Important
After deleting the backup database, you need to reinstall the Windows Home Server Connector software or run the Discovery.Exe program on each of your home computers to re-establish a relationship between your home computers and your home server so new backups will occur.

This was taken from:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/8/0/18096c95-4850-4176-9821-970691b9...

June 27, 2010 2:07 PM

Deleting the database following the procedure you outlined worked. I was able to complete a manual backup of my Vista PC. I'll try a manual backup of my 7 PC later or just let the auto backup run overnight.

Thanks for your help.

June 27, 2010 2:57 PM

No problem.... glad you got it sorted out.

December 9, 2010 5:26 PM

I had a very similar problem. My backups would stop anywhere from 4% to 12% with a similar error message about D:\folders.
I thought that it was a Windows problem but it turned out to be a server problem.
In the end, I fixed mine by running the Server Recovery CD that came with the server. As I had deleted all my previous backups instead of Server Recovery I chose Factory Reset.
The method above seems like a good shortcut.

February 1, 2012 12:35 PM

pardizzone said: ...snip....
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/8/0/18096c95-4850-4176-9821-970691b9...

Thanks, this worked on getting my server bacu up And protecting my data.

Now The only thing I wonder is how can one prevent the database from getting corrupted in the first place.  Is it know what causes this issue?

February 1, 2012 9:35 PM

I don't know what causes these errors but I now find that the simplest fix is to re-install the HP Server and Windows Home Server Connect software from the Software Installation CD.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-10 of 10 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

close this window
close this window