OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community Explore3DTV TechLore DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 1842610.0
January 20, 2010 09:38 PM

Categories: Digital Media Receivers

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

dhodson

im having troubles getting my videos to play the way i want them to on my xbox 360

i use twonky but the prbs i have are that the movies which are broken into several files do not play continuously on the xbox.  i can only play the first segment and then must go back and select the next and do not know how to create a playlist so the whole movie plays continuously

Additionally what is the best format/method to play ones collection.  i currently rip my dvds with dvdshrink/anydvd but dont compress them at all.  this creates avi files and the hp does whatever it does to convert them into hq and mobile versions.  when i play these files on a laptop using powerdvd, i only need to select the first one in the series and it plays them all but twonky doesnt seem to do that within a folder.

is there any way to direct the hp ex485 as to which folders to scan as opposed to drives

any best suggestions on how to make this as simple as possible would be appreciated.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-20 of 20 | Latest Comment

January 21, 2010 8:00 AM

Along these same lines, what format plays best on the Xbox 360. Currently when I try to play my home movies over my LAN (wired) to the Xbox I get choppy playback. I’m not sure if this is because of a LAN issue I have, the file format or just the way the Xbox works.I have tried the procedure listed here (http://www.mediasmarthome.com/article/12236/Converting-and-Streaming-Home-Movies-with-the-HP-MediaSmart-Server/?highlight=copy+movies ) but still get choppy playback. 

January 21, 2010 1:31 PM

I have 2 Xbox 360 and 2 PS3, and have been totally unsuccessful in streaming video. Also the file requirements is to restrictive. I now use MAKE MKV exclusively to rip DVDs to a backup file and stream from a server to a popcorn Hour NMT. I have the A-110 and just ordered the A-200. Works perfect, no streaming problems, and MAKEMKV makes an MKV file for a normal movis in less than 25 minutes. Converting files for XBOX or PS3 compatability is a PAIN. My EX 495 will be here soon, but expect not to use the MEdia COllector nor any streaming software, mainly because MKV currently is not supported. Can anyone confrim this because I have seen some conflicting info on whether the EX495 /Media Collector can collect / support MKV files????

February 1, 2010 10:55 AM

I have no issues so far with 360 streaming. Make sure that you get the 360 media update for your Xbox 360. My PS3 won't recognize most of the files and i'm not sure why either. It won't work under Twonky doesn't seem to work on it either. I heard that firefly may be a good one.

EX490 w/ E6500 Processor HP Pavillion DV7 64-bit, Win7 Xbox 360 PS3 27" iMac

February 1, 2010 10:59 AM

I have a hardwired LAN with an xbox 360 with the media update. I can see the videos and playback but the playback stops constantly (buffering?) and then starts where it left off ...

February 1, 2010 2:39 PM

I have 2 Xbox 360s on my home network. One is wired and the other is wireless and video streaming is flawless. Typically I'm streaming DIVX AVI, WMV or MP4 video. Have you tried putting your xbox on the same switch with the server and use known good cables to see if that would work. Pausing and stuttering sounds like network retries or comm errors which could point to a physical network problem.

February 1, 2010 2:45 PM

what software do u use to convert your dvds?

February 1, 2010 3:14 PM

What kind of router do you have Wade? Almost everything in my home is connected wirelessly and I so far do not have any streaming issues. I did upgrade to wieless N a few years back, but even over G I never experienced most of the issues others had.

February 1, 2010 4:35 PM

dhodson said: what software do u use to convert your dvds?
MAKEMKV

February 2, 2010 1:32 PM updated: February 2, 2010 1:33 PM

I have an HP Home Server connected (cat 5 cable) to a Belkin N+ Wireless Router. My PC (running Windows 7) and X-Box 360 are connected in the same way. All 3 have fully updated software.

I use Handbrake to convert my videos and have played with different settings to no avail (how does everyone else convert? What settings to you use?).

I CAN stream the video to my PC with no issues.

I CAN look at photos on the X-Box as well as listen to music. When I try to stream video I get the stop and go issue. Almost like I have a bandwidth problem.

Any suggestions?

February 2, 2010 1:35 PM

i think stop and go issues are likely router prbs. likely your router cant handle the throughput. id get a gigabit n router if u must go wireless.

February 2, 2010 1:36 PM

Any suggested Make / Model? Also, why can it stream to my PC but not the X-Box?

February 2, 2010 1:40 PM

id guess your desktop has a better wireless connection to the router
u may need powerline or wired

February 2, 2010 1:41 PM

Both are wired to the router

February 2, 2010 1:57 PM

Does your router have a gigabit port? I have a Dlink Extreme gaming Router. Can't remember the model number off my head, but it's the black Extreme N one.

February 2, 2010 2:08 PM

All 4 ports are supposed to be gigabit ports.

February 17, 2011 10:18 AM

Is there any step-by-step videos for all this?

February 17, 2011 10:41 AM

DIVX or XVID...Rip, use any good ripper...also watch the bit rate, the higher the better for hardwire connection...not so good for wireless...A gig router is the way to go for HW Connections....Wireless N for wireless...Obvisously keep everything the same speed. XBox 360 wireless N. Router Wireless N.

February 17, 2011 7:12 PM

Use HandBrake, Normal or High Profile presets. I use Normal. High Profile adds a second, unconverted audio track that most players don't support anyways.

For streaming to Xbox 360, PS3, and WD TV Live HD, .m4v (.mp4) and .wmv work best. I just go ahead and convert everything to .m4v, normal preset.

EX485, 750GB WD GP, 3x2TB WD GP, 2TB WD GP eSATA
MacPro Dual Quad Xeon 2.8GHz, 6GB RAM, 320GB (Win7 x64) + 640GB (OSX 10.6), 2x1TB
Zotac IONITX-A-U Atom 330, Win7 x64, 4GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio, 2TB WD GP
Synology DS410, 4x2TB WD GP RAID5

April 12, 2011 1:28 AM

Just use windows media player. Everything else is **** you can even add external harddrives. There is you tube vides how to set it up .

April 12, 2011 8:30 AM

Like Dave49er just commented, I simply use AnyDVD to bypass the copy protection, and Handbrake to rip the DVD at the "Normal" preset. It is that simple. All my rips play on my Xbox 360, PS3, all my computers, etc... They are all ripped to .m4v format, which is MP4.

This is the simplest way to rip DVDs, and is fool-proof. It takes about 20 minutes per DVD on my i5 iMac with 8 gigs of RAM.

Tim

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-20 of 20 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

close this window
close this window