OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community Explore3DTV TechLore DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 8977090.0
January 4, 2010 07:08 AM

Categories: Server Mods and Hacking

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

s4mb4

I ordered a new EX490 the other day and was trying to get some info about the possibility to upgrade the cpu.

do you think i could use a XEON 3075;

Brand Intel
Series Xeon
Model BX805573075
CPU Socket Type
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
Tech Spec
Core Conroe
Multi-Core Dual-Core
Name Xeon 3075
Operating Frequency 2.66GHz
FSB 1333MHz
L2 Cache 4MB
Manufacturing Tech 65 nm
64 bit Support Yes
Virtualization Technology Support Yes
Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
Voltage 0.85V – 1.3625V
Thermal Design Power 65W

everything matches except for the Manufacturing Tech. The CPU's that most people are using 45 nm while mine is 65 nm....

I think CPU socket type and Voltage are the most important things, right?

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 126-150 of 227 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next »

November 15, 2010 11:12 PM

I'm considering purchasing the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S 2.83GHz 12M L2 Cache 1333MHz LGA775 Low Power (65W) Processor ($325) to put into my Dell Precision T3400 (currently has E6750), and then when I dump the Dell in a year or so I'll pull it and put it in my EX490. Any thoughts on whether this will work?

November 16, 2010 9:32 AM updated: November 16, 2010 9:33 AM

Just like to know if E8400 Processor, works good in the EX495. Or is there something better to use.

November 16, 2010 12:25 PM

Yes, the E8400 will work fine. I have the E6500, and I've seen posts of people using the E8400 without problem. Both the E6500 and the E8400 have a 65 W TDP.

November 17, 2010 10:35 AM updated: November 25, 2010 5:28 AM

OK, I'm the one that posted about buying an EX490 and ordered a new CPU, memory and hard drive. Well after searching the web I found out that I could disable Twonky by running msconfig from the "run" feature (like running regedit or cmd) and I turned off Twonky. It made a world of difference in the speed of the server.

My upgrade items have not yet arrived.

If you don't like Twonky or are not using it I highly advise disabling it..

Click start, click run, type in msconfig, navigate to services, uncheck twonky - then reboot. Whala - The processor overload dissappears.

Hope this helps someone else.

I'll Update again when I manage to get the upgrades and install them..

Here is the report on the updates:

http://loadstoneonline.homeserver.com/lsoarticles/EX490%20Upgrade.html

November 17, 2010 11:12 AM

I upgraded my CPU, memory and switched to an SSD on my EX495. The processor I used was the e8600. I have modded everything pretty much on my box. Do not get your hopes up. Even with all of these upgrades there are still limitations of the platform.

November 17, 2010 1:08 PM

Shout out to the DIY club

EX490 3.0Ghz E6600 3X 2T WD20EARS 1T ST7200.11 Attached TR5M w/ 5 drives....._____ DIY build HAF 912 case Asus M4A785-M MB 4 gig Ram Athlon II X4 3.1Ghz B45 DVD/CD Radeon-HD5550 2X_WD10EARS 2X_WD20EARS 1 VelociRaptor

November 20, 2010 3:54 PM

SteveV said: I'm considering purchasing the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550S 2.83GHz 12M L2 Cache 1333MHz LGA775 Low Power (65W) Processor ($325) to put into my Dell Precision T3400 (currently has E6750), and then when I dump the Dell in a year or so I'll pull it and put it in my EX490. Any thoughts on whether this will work?

I think you'll be putting some real demands on that system, both heat and power.

Is there a reason you really need a quad-core in your EX490 down the road?  The only reason I could see is if you managed to convert it to a VMWare server (which, with a max of 4GB of RAM, would run out of resources pretty quickly).

I do all my video encoding on my desktop, rather than put the job on my server.  A second core is quite useful on the EX490, it can balance the load of apps like your antivirus and a few others, but I can find very few good reasons to try a quad-core; and that's from the position that I work with servers every day.

Everyone gets everything he wants. Me, I wanted to be a sysadmin. And for my sins --they made me one . HP EX490, Pentium DC E5300, 4GB RAM, 1x 1TB, 3x 1.5TB, 1x 2TB eSATA

November 20, 2010 4:30 PM

LoneWolf - thank you very much for your input. I think you are right. I'm very happy with what I have now (EX490, Intel E6500, 4GB RAM, 4x 1TB). The server is very fast and responsive, and does not hang at all when streaming video, etc. I keep it on 24/7 and have had no problems. In fact, I have two intenal drives in my desktop (Dell Workstation T3400) -- an SSD and a 1TB harddrive, and the files come off the sever faster than off of the second harddrive in my computer! Thanks for your input. You have saved me some money.

November 21, 2010 2:45 AM updated: November 21, 2010 2:57 AM

It will be very interesting to see what CPU the new HP MSS models will incoporate. I suspect to ensure maximum profit to HP they will tonk a cheap dual core in the lower end "home server" [probably be another Celeron]. To me the basic unit is good as a NAS type device but once you start using any of the advertised functionallity the thing fall flat on it face, the basic celeron is pretty useless. Has anyone tries with a celeron dual core I wonder.

Good to see the success stories w.r.t. upgrades. It is surprising the vast improvement that can be obtained by simply changing the processor to something the system should have had in the first place

The new'ish dual core celeron E3500 ~ ?43 with virtualisation capability looks pretty capable CPU for the MSS

November 21, 2010 9:54 PM updated: November 25, 2010 5:28 AM

As stated many times in the forum, the best upgrade that you can do for your EX490 seems to me to be the upgrade of the CPU. I just finished making that upgrade and if you'd like to know how and see my results and the complete report go here ...

November 22, 2010 8:20 AM

Very nice. I did some similar testing with pcbenchmark. and DVD encoding. almost twice as fast on all processes. thanks for the extra time and data.

EX490 3.0Ghz E6600 3X 2T WD20EARS 1T ST7200.11 Attached TR5M w/ 5 drives....._____ DIY build HAF 912 case Asus M4A785-M MB 4 gig Ram Athlon II X4 3.1Ghz B45 DVD/CD Radeon-HD5550 2X_WD10EARS 2X_WD20EARS 1 VelociRaptor

November 22, 2010 11:09 PM

jswamy said: Everybody upgrading ex490 for better processor just replacing the old chip without any problem.Is there any bios modification before processor install? No luck with just processor replacement with e5200. thanks
I upgraded with the E7500.  No Bios upgrades.  I just installed the chip and temps are 42.

November 23, 2010 7:39 AM updated: December 18, 2010 12:00 PM

jswamy said: Everybody upgrading ex490 for better processor just replacing the old chip without any problem.Is there any bios modification before processor install? No luck with just processor replacement with e5200. thanks

As mwilliamsuscg stated - no bios changes needed. Just remember to boot the server twice in order for the system to fully setup the new CPU. Also, don't forget to purchase the thermal paste that is needed to bond the heat sink to the CPU. I recommend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186020

For a complete set of instructions for the upgrade and links on how to get the motherboard out of the EX490 go here:

December 18, 2010 8:47 AM

If I have 0 intentions of transcoding, is this upgrade still worthwhile?

The reason I'm even thinking about a cpu upgrade is because of what I was just experiencing. Looks like I can't stream movies to my htcp if I'm simultaneously uploading files to the server

December 18, 2010 9:08 AM updated: December 18, 2010 9:09 AM

Andy D: The basic performance improvement for all aspect of MSS function is significantly inproved as a result of a processor upgrade. I for one went for an E5400. Basic navigation is much more responsive and any CPU hungry processes do not render the MSS inoperable.

Going back to your second point however given the bandwidth of the Wired LAN 10/100/1000 then I must admit streaming movies and uploading files would cause a bottleneck no matter what processor you had. I will give this a go on my system and report back. Hopefully others who have experienced this scenario could comment also. Are you likely to upload and stream at the same time once the initial data transferr has taken place ?

Regards, Paul

December 18, 2010 11:44 AM

True I guess I wasn't really thinking without asking first.

When you say basic navigation, you're referring to what?

December 18, 2010 11:53 AM updated: December 18, 2010 11:54 AM

Andy: I'm glad to see that Paul is doing a check on his own server regarding the uploading of files while streaming video. The issue you may be experiencing could be more of a router issue rather than a server issue. I.E. let's say that your streaming video via Wireless G while simultaneously moving some files also wirelessly. Your router may not be able to handle the volume. If you have a router that transmits wireless N - try using N for one transmission and G or your ethernet connection for the other transfer. On the other hand, if you are using strictly ethernet you need to make sure that you have a gigabit router - and - that all ethernet cards on the PC's in use have the wired Lan 10/100/1000 connectivity. You might see some improvement upgrading the CPU on the server but unless your LAN or Wireless can handle the larger stream of data - it won't matter what type of server CPU that you have. If you already have a sufficient router and your computers do have a LAN 10/100/1000 connection, then a CPU upgrade would certainly help.

For a brief overview of the router that I use go here and you'll find the info and links about my router and setup in the later update info on that page:

I use an ASUS router RT-N16 with Tomato firmware. For the money it's about the fastest router on the market right now. I hope this helps.

December 18, 2010 12:09 PM updated: January 3, 2011 8:48 AM

About what Paul was referring to as Basic Navigation - Most of us that upgraded our EX490 were having issues with slow access times when remote connecting to the server or using the WHS Home Server Console. With the stock Celeron CPU the simplest things were too time consuming. Performing the CPU upgrade greatly improved the overall performance of the EX490.

December 24, 2010 8:47 PM

Just completed the cpu update of my ex490 from the standard celeron to the Intel core 2 duo e7500 processor. I wanted to thank all of the members who have posted there comments and recommendations, as they gave me the confidence to try this on my own. I look forward to learning all of the things I can due with this server. Presently, I am only using for multiple computer backups.

January 2, 2011 2:08 PM

I purchased a EX490 and E6500 CPU but also want to upgrade the memory to 4GB can I use PC-8500 DDR3-1066 memory? If the motherboard accepts the PC-8500 will it run at the faster speed or will it run at 800MHZ? I also noticed that DDR3 modules run at 1.5 V instead of 1.8 V is this going to be an issue. Should I just get over it and purchase PC-6400? I'm sorry if this question has been asked before but I could not find an answer via Google search.

January 2, 2011 2:49 PM

Wish I could be of more help, but I never looked into upgrading the memory in my ex490, as it came with 2gb and I did not feel that I required more. I will do some research and let you know if I find anything.

January 2, 2011 4:15 PM

Thanks, I appreciate your help. It just seems to make sense that the memory should be as fast as the processor. Having a processor with 1066 FSB and then using 800 FSB memory seems counterproductive.

January 3, 2011 3:55 AM updated: January 3, 2011 3:58 AM

sequelman. You should be able to put the E6400 In there but the board only supports DDR2 not DDR3 - so you cannot use that. In practice the RAM is not the issue with the EX 490. I never see full utilisation of RAM. You will see a significant improvement with just the Processor upgrade. Regards Paul

Edit : Even if you put higher spec DDR2 in the machine it will not automatically run at the capable clock rate, you will need to gain acess to the BIOS to up the RAM to 1066MHz. That being said I would not know just how stable the system would be. I do not know how many people have tried to run at higher RAM rates

January 3, 2011 8:45 AM updated: January 4, 2011 8:32 AM

sequelman -

The memory that you select must be 1.8v - 240 Pin DDR2 SDRAM - So be sure to select that voltage and design for for any memory upgrade. The Front Side Bus (FSB) setting for the CPU and memory do not need to be correlated in order to produce a better running PC, at least in theory, because one processes command line instructions while the other creates fast ram storage for data retrieval. I'm not fully understanding what it is that you are trying to accomplish by your upgrade. Since you mentioned the faster FSB possibilities, I assume that you are looking for more speed out of your server. You will see much more overall improvement in the speed and responsiveness of your EX490 with a dual core processor upgrade rather than a memory upgrade. I did both - memory and processor. The processor upgrade won the challenge hands down. However, if for some reason you are running some sort of ram crunching software on your server like some graphics applications where a lot of fast access memory is needed - then the memory upgrade along with the processor upgrade will probably help. I myself run Clam Antivirus (for my email server), Avast Antivirus (designed for Windows Home Server), IOBIT security 360, and Beethink IP Blocker to help support and protect my server. These first line server defense programs can by themselves use almost a gig of ram if they happen to be running together. Couple those programs with a minimum once a week defrag oh hundreds of gigs of data and ram resources on the stock 2GB can get to the point that the server seems retarded. With 4GB however, the server never seems to be bogged down by these automated utilities. I feel as though I want to not only control who can access my server but also monitor those that do access it - especially over the web. So I feel that I need the extra ram to cover those defenses. I regularly catch or stop approximately 100 unwanted attempts to access my server daily.

If you haven't already, you can go here:

and read my complete breakdown on my experience with the EX490 Upgrades that I performed. I have placed links there to help make the upgrades as easy as possible. I hope that this helps.

January 3, 2011 12:03 PM

Blotnik and ParanoidAndroid2008: Thanks for all the advice.

Blotnik - I think that I will just swap out the CPU and increase ram to 4GB and follow your example.

Now, I just have to decide how to transfer the data from my EX470 to my EX490.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 126-150 of 227 | Latest Comment | « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

close this window
close this window