OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community Explore3DTV TechLore DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 4407650.0
November 1, 2009 03:09 PM

Categories: Security and User Management

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

pklocke

Hey...getting frustrated...thought I would post here...lots of experts.

Whenever I map file shares from my PC, to my mediasmart server, next time I reboot my pc, they are all disconnected, even though I have asked them to be reconnected at startup.  So that's the first issue that lead to the second.

Normally, to reconnect the shares, I have to simply "disconnect" and then remap them again.  But today, all of sudden, I am getting a different error when I connect, stating:

"The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:
the referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to."

So, I jump on the Console and check "Shared Folders".  I see all the standard shares (photos, software, etc), as well as the user shares I have created for different family members.  In the case above, I have tried connecting to my Public, Software, Photos, and Music shares, and that that same error.

My next step, I try right clicking on the Shared Folders individually, (from inside Console still) and choose "open".  I am not even able to open them from the Console!  Access Denied.  HOw can access be denied to the Public/shared folders from the Console itself?

I am basically locked out of all my photos, music, everything.  Anyone ever see this before?  About ready to buy a real server....(he said in total frustration)

Boise, ID
EX475 w/ 3Tb storage on 2 500Gb mechs, 2 1TB mechs

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-12 of 12 | Latest Comment

November 2, 2009 4:16 PM

Why do you have a map a drive? That's kind of old school. All I need to do is share it, place a user on my PC with the same username/password as the other PC and give it full access.

November 2, 2009 7:35 PM

Is your login name and password the same for both the WHS and your PC?

November 3, 2009 9:28 AM

After doing a new Windows 7 Ultimate installation I began having a similar problem. It seems like the IP stack is being corrupted. The quickest fix is to disable and re-enable my network adapter. I'd be interested to know the details of your configuration and what router you use.
BTW, I map all of my network drives for a few reasons. Some apps and utilities I use require a local resource and I think it's much faster to open a mapped drive than having to browse the network each time I'm looking for a specific network location.

Answers Post November 4, 2009 7:23 PM updated: November 4, 2009 7:32 PM

I found this link:
]
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/deff41ae-f363-4fd5-a51...

and while it was not exactly the problem, it got me to check both of the user names on my PC, vs what was set up on the server. By simply retyping the user name vs display name in, it made it work again. Cannot explain it, exactly.

Might have to extrapolate it to Win7, if this is even related at all.

Hope it helps!

PK

Boise, ID

November 4, 2009 7:29 PM

MitchSchaft said: Why do you have a map a drive? That's kind of old school. All I need to do is share it, place a user on my PC with the same username/password as the other PC and give it full access.

I have some programs that I run, like GHOST, for creating and storing image copies of drives, that won't recognized the drive unless it is mapped local.  I probably need to upgrade at some  point, but this works for now.

CHeers!

Boise, ID

November 4, 2009 7:32 PM

BetaVirus said: Is your login name and password the same for both the WHS and your PC?

In my case, my "login" user name on the PC was identical to the user on the WHS.  That was what was so confounding.  What I did find, however, was that I had (From original PC-side setup) created a user called Administrator (default), and it is my believe that WHS picked this one up.

WHat I did, based upon the link in the earlier post, was add administrative capabilities to my "regular" user (not the Administrator user), and voila, it took off.  Again, can't explain why, exactly, but it did the trick.

pk

Boise, ID

March 24, 2010 7:19 PM

After a botched install of iTunes, I had to do a system restore. after the restore I couldn't connect to the shares on my on WHS box (sorry HP its an Aspire) getting this message.

I tried to fix it by unmapping the drives, but now I cannot see 2 of the three shares at all, so I cannot remap them. The Third share, one I set up my self is visible and I can access the files and remap the dirve but it's in "offline"mode. Yet on an XP box and another Vista laptop on my wireless network, ther is no problem, shares are accessible and online. I can't see anything on the server that is wrong, it all seems to be related to the effects of the system restore point on this Vista laptop. Any helpful comments will be much appreciated.

April 21, 2010 4:20 PM

I have a problem with getting locked out also. To fix the problem remote desktop into the server. go to computer management, then users, then the account that is locked out. take the check out of account locked out. The problem is that I am getting locked out multiple times a day sometimes every hour or so. I have the same user name and password on all of my computers. I have a home network consisting of 2 laptops, 3 desktops, and a mediasmart server. I do not know which computer is sending the bad credentials. It appears to happen even when different machines are shut down. I feel the problem is with WHS.

April 22, 2010 7:04 PM

Well, this helped, but I'm not out of the woods yet. I was able to re-establish sharing of the one folder that I set up by doing as you suggested. Thanks. I'm still not able to see the shares for Music and Photos, but I'll keep working on it now that I can see the details of the accounts in native Windows 2003. I think I need to look a the passwords as well. WHS keeps complaining that they are not the same, so that may also be playing a part in this picture.

April 22, 2010 7:11 PM

Did you happen to try access the server with your firewall turned off? Just a thought. I had a problem on win7 with this, and was able to get zeroed in by defaulting to the windows firewall, vs one that came with my internet security program.

CHeers,
pklocke

Boise, ID

April 22, 2010 8:57 PM

Well that's a thought, Thanks. Although, I'm still thinking this all got set up vanilla and worked just fine with my existing software & hardware configurations. Things didn't go south until I had to do a system restore on the Vista Laptop. It's also definitely user account related. I logged on to my account (it's my wife's machine) and I can see everything. If I can't find anything funny with the firewall rules, I'm going to try deleting the account and set up a new one.

April 24, 2010 12:07 AM

I Had a similar issue at one point...old PC....did not realize it was looking for an account of EXACT same name on the server, as on the PC (assume it was trying to connect initially using my own PC credentials). So, remember I got that working with some monkeying around. There was a threadsome about it...think it was the HP website, that explained how to get the credentials to sync....but man...long time ago...I will dig around some of the WHS sites....as I think I posted it on one of them, too.... Wish I could help more.

Boise, ID

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-12 of 12 | Latest Comment

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

close this window
close this window