OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community Explore3DTV TechLore DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 943715.0
January 20, 2009 08:46 PM

Categories: Hard Drives/Storage

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

georgemichaeltoo

will the HP MSS try to format any external hard drive get connected to the eSATA port or will it simply read it? will it need a driver to recognize it? is there any risk of losing files stored on and external eSATA hard drive from trying that?

I have Apricorn 500GB DVR Expander eSATA external hard drive with recorded TV programings on it and i want to try to transfer those files to the HP MSS, but i don't want to loos those files, is this doable?

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-25 of 27 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

January 20, 2009 9:19 PM

If you do a Factory Reset with an eSATA enclosure attached the MSS will format it. Otherwise it will NOT. When you install it you will have to choose between adding it to the pool (when it WILL get formatted), using it for backing up Shared Folders or leaving it unmanaged. I have not found a need for any special drivers for any eSATA enclosure or drive yet nor have I heard of one being needed. I do not have an "500GB DVR Expander eSATA external hard drive" however, so your mileage may vary!

When you plug in the drive just do not add it to the pool or add it as a backup device and you'll be fine.

...JohnBick

January 20, 2009 9:39 PM

do i need to power off the HP MSS or it doesn't matter?

January 20, 2009 10:16 PM

So I connected the drive while the HPMSS is running and I tried the "add hard drive to back up option" and got the following message" the Drive doesn't seem to have partition created, Please create a partition and then retart home server before trying to add the drive.

now what should i do?

January 20, 2009 11:06 PM

I don't think it will work. i tried connecting the external hard drive to my vista laptop using the USB port and after the vista installed the driver, although vista recognize it as HDD during the installation, after that it is a portable devise which appear empty no files (0 Bytes) and when ever i click on it a message appear insert desk.!!!

my guess it is some kind of protection so not to transfer the recorded programs as digital files

January 21, 2009 8:44 AM

Some eSATA devices seem to require a power cycle to introduce a new disk and others do not. Try it...

As I said, I am not familiar with that particular device. It is possible that it is not formatted in a manner that Windows recognizes.

...JohnBick

January 21, 2009 8:58 AM

I powered cycle the server and the eSATA HDD as well but no luck. I even tried connecting the eSATA HDD to my laptop as i mentioned before but i couldn't browse any content recorded on it, it was showing as if it is a CD or DVD player and empty, if i click on it, it ask me to insert disk, properties show 0 Bytes !!

January 21, 2009 9:33 AM

I would guess that it is not formatted as FAT or NTFS.

...JohnBick

January 21, 2009 11:40 AM

If it is an expander drive for a DVR then it's most likely formatted to EXT2 or EXT3 as the OS on the DVR is probably Linux. You would need to load a linux driver to be able to read the disk on any flavor of Windows.

"everything will be ok in the end. if it's not ok, it's not the end" - unknown

January 21, 2009 11:46 AM

I have a D-Link NAS (DNS 323) which is Linux (EXT3)I use it as ftp and media server as well (got it before i bought the HP MSS), so do you think if i connect the eSATA to the DNS, the DNS will read it no problem?

January 21, 2009 11:49 AM

It may.... I know my Popcorn Hour will read a EXT2/3 formatted drive attached to it's USB port. It also may have a proprietary format that is only readable by the DVR......

January 21, 2009 11:59 AM

I have a popcorn A110 too, will give them both a try although i have a feeling it is only readable by the DVR as you suggested.

January 22, 2009 9:35 PM

here is what happened when tried connecting to the Popcorn Hour and the D-Link NAS;

1. PCH show message "USB Faild"
2. The NAS recognized the HDD as a printer, however the details displayed under Stats are;
Manufacture: JMicron
Product: JM20336 SATA, USB Combo

January 22, 2009 10:01 PM

It may be proprietary:

"Any DVR with an active eSATA port Scientific Altanta 8300 or 8300HD DVR Supported Cable companies"

January 23, 2009 8:01 AM

It is actually hooked to my 8300HD DVR from Rogers, it works great but i was wondering if i can transfer the recorded programs to free some space instead of deleting those programs. but it doesn't seem to be doable

January 25, 2009 3:50 PM

I just got myself a Hauppauge HD PVR that accepts coponents and optical audio and can record HD signal (1080i) and s.1 surround sound into variety of files compatible formats that works with PS3, PSP, XBOX360, iPod and others.

i tried it and it works great. it record in real time H.264 (a file format called .TS) which by itself can not be played directly and needs to be converted afterwords to MP4. the final results is excellent quality.

however, 2 problems here;
1. if i want the 1080i the file size would be around 5GB (2 hour movie)which i couldn't stream from the HPMSS with either PS3 or Popcorn Hour. so i lowered to get a file around 2 GB and that worked, still very good quality.

2. the converting time for files takes up to 10 hours, that's on my laptop (dual core and 4 GB memory) not sure how can i lower that time.

for the 5GB file is it the PS3 and Popcorn hour that can't pull the file or is it the HP MSS that doesn't support such big files?

January 25, 2009 4:01 PM updated: January 25, 2009 4:03 PM

For that streaming, what is the speed of the network and are you wired or wireless? I do not stream video myself but folks that do tell us that wireless generally does not cut it for 1080 HD. For that you really do want a Gbit connection between both devices and the router.

...JohnBick

January 25, 2009 6:33 PM

Actually I have Gbit connection between all devices. the router is DGL-4500 Gigabit provide connectivity to the HP MSS, DNS-323, Netgear HDX 101 powerline, and Free Connect G500 Gigabit un-managed switch (has the PS3, Popcorn hour, Slingbox on it) all these components are wired connection.

Wireless there is my laptop, Internet Radio and IP Camera.

Wireless i am getting 54Mpbs, not sure about the wired speed. is this too much for the network?

January 25, 2009 7:01 PM

It does not seem to me to be too much unless these are all active at the same time. Can you try putting only the Hauppauge HD PVR and the MSS on the same switch (leaving the connection to the router) and see what that does. It's possible that isolating that segment might make a difference.

Guessing a bit here... Anyone else have any thoughts?

...JohnBick

January 25, 2009 8:06 PM

The Hauppauge HD PVR byitself is not connected to the network. It's connected to the HD cable receiver so TV signal pass through and then the Hauppauge HD PVR will record directly on my laptop and after that it.has nothing to do with playing the recorded file

January 25, 2009 8:07 PM

The Hauppauge HD PVR byitself is not connected to the network. It's connected to the HD cable receiver so TV signal pass through and then the Hauppauge HD PVR will record directly on my laptop and after that it.has nothing to do with playing the recorded file

January 25, 2009 8:16 PM

The Popcorn Hour should be able to stream the ts file. I have a 20Gb ts file that plays fine on my PCH. As far as streaming it from your laptop, the wireless is to slow for reliable streaming of HD material. Try plugging your laptop into the switch and then try streaming it to the PCH. If you have a hard drive in the PCH, you could also copy the file to the internal drive and play it from there.

January 25, 2009 8:49 PM

Sorry about the double posting, was sending from my BB. I just read on another thread that PCH can stream the M2TS format, so now i am copying the file that i just recorded to my HP MSS (7.4GB). i don't stream from my laptop, I only use it to transfer and record TV programing from my HD receiver. I use the HP MSS and the DNS-323 for the streaming purpose.

yes i have a hard drive on the PCH, it is only 500GB and with such files size it can be consumed fast, but I will try it later anyway.

any chance i can convert the M2TS to mkv or smaller format without downgrading the picture or sound quality??

January 25, 2009 9:53 PM

Excellent, so the this works. The PS3 and PCH can stream the M2TS file perfectly no need to convert the recording format. Now the only downfall is the file size. maybe i should look into expanding the HP MSS capacity shortly.

The HP MSS currently has 2 x 500GB HDD, maybe i should add a couple 1TB's or even 1.5TB's. will i need to change any configuration on the HP MSS or i can just add the new HDDs to the empty bays (3 and 4)??

January 25, 2009 9:59 PM

georgemichaeltoo said: ... will i need to change any configuration on the HP MSS or i can just add the new HDDs to the empty bays (3 and 4)??
Just add the drives to the empty bays and add them to the storage pool. (In Server Storage tab select the new drive, click on "Add" and add it to the storage pool - as opposed to making it a backup drive.)

...JohnBick

January 25, 2009 10:19 PM

so being the new HDDs bigger than the current installed HDDs doesn't matter, I mean they don't need to be in the 1, 2 bays instead of the 3,4 bays..that's cool.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-25 of 27 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

close this window
close this window