OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community Explore3DTV TechLore DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 1852240.0
May 9, 2008 10:21 PM

Categories: Networking and Remote Access

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

MeSue

I went to open the console on my desktop PC and got this message:

"This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

I tried resetting the console. No go. So I tried uninstalling the connector and reinstalling from the installer on the server. No go. So I rebooted both the server and my desktop and then tried reinstalling again. It gives me this error:

Unable to connect to your home server.
The following issues may cause this problem:
- Your home server is not powered on.
- A firewall on this computer is blocking the connection
- A proxy server is configured on this computer for the network connection.

The server is on. I can RDC on to it.
Nothing has changed with my firewall.
There is no proxy server.

What do I do now?

Discussion:    Comments 1-14 of 14 | Latest Comment

May 21, 2008 3:52 AM

Check your computer name. It happened to me also when I arouse a domain and changed the name of client. So be sure the name has not suffix like server.domain.com in example. Then you can try to point as your primary dns the Ip address of your server.
But usually it is something wrong in the name.
Also be sure to be part of your workgroup!

May 21, 2008 9:17 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I hadn't changed anything with computer names. Anyway, it is resolved now, though my server was out of commission for almost a week because of this.

I ended up finding more problems on the server, so I did a server restore which turned out badly (long story). HP support was not able to figure it out, so I salvaged my data by pulling the second drive, then I did factory reset with only the first drive installed. After setting everything up again, I copied my data back to the clean server, wiped the second drive, and added it to the storage pool.

Knock on wood, things are fine now.

June 18, 2008 4:17 PM

I am having this same issue now.

Hi All,
It seems i am having one issue after another. Here is the latest.

Error Message (This computer has lost connection to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. Then try to connect again.)

I get this with each client in the house when I try to log in to the server. All was working just fine then out of the blue this happens. I checked the router and nothing has changed. On all clients the WHS system tray icon is green and network is healthy, I can even run back ups from this icon. I can also access all the shares on the server. Anyone have an idea what has happened?
Thanks
Eric

June 18, 2008 8:19 PM

Well, good luck. If you want to hear the whole story of my saga, the discussion is here: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1291&highlight=

November 19, 2008 9:22 AM

emar1000 said: ... Error Message (This computer has lost connection to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. Then try to connect again.) I get this with each client in the house when I try to log in to the server. All was working just fine then out of the blue this happens. I checked the router and nothing has changed. On all clients the WHS system tray icon is green and network is healthy, I can even run back ups from this icon. I can also access all the shares on the server. Anyone have an idea what has happened? Thanks Eric
I would first try reinstallng the connector on the client(s). 

...JohnBick

February 17, 2009 10:25 AM

I'm having similar issues with my EX470. I could connect with my desktop (Vista home edition), but I can't with my laptop (Windows Xp tablet pc edition sp2). My desktop has since died, and I can't seem connect to my server, so it is just a giant paper weight. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I recently converted my file system to NTFS, but still nothing! Help. I'd like to get my money's worth out of this purchase.

March 3, 2009 7:33 PM updated: March 3, 2009 7:34 PM

In case others have this issue, I discovered what was causing my issue of not being able to connect to the WHS. It was my Win Mobile phone plugged into the client computer. When phone is plugged in, cannot connect to WHS, when it is unplugged, I can - reproducible every time.

Phone:
Pocket PC - HTC Mogul (Sprint) with latest Windows Mobile OS and patches

WHS:
HP MediaSmart Server EX487

When phone is plugged in, I can see my fodlers on the server with Windows Explorer, I just can't connect the WHS Console. When I plug the phone in, Microsoft Active Sync v.4.5.0 starts. If I try to connect, I get an error popup.

ERROR:
"This computer cannot connect to your home server. Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on. If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."

Looking in My Network Connections window, two 'Local Area Connection' appear of type 'LAN or High-Speed Internet'. I think this somehow confuses the WHS Connector. I am not technical enough to undestand why or find a workaround. If anyone understands better and has some explanation and/or steps to have the two co-exist peacefully, please let us know.

Thanks.

May 7, 2009 10:29 PM

1. Add a entry with the address of your windows home server to the hosts file on your local PC.

I have found other threads, but found I had instant success when connecting from xp which had worked in the past -- amazing. Needed to make it work to get data back for wife, so I'll be checking to see if the same works for Vista, Windows 7.

2. There are other things that will help you ensure it's resolving locally, but this is the easiest way. I'll try to remember to add in the info for Vista....
But I suspect PC's who are members of different domains + router supplied domains vs. WHS domain, etc. make enough complexity to make the console login to fail. What's amazing is that there isn't any clear

December 16, 2009 12:08 AM

old thread but would like to add my experience and thanks for Scott Clous' posts.

would like to add here...
I had a work laptop that was backing up just fine for months. at some point, it stopped backing up.... not sure what changed.
When the new connector software came out, i tried to upgrade but could not connect to WHS. I could reach it via remote desktop and via the web interface, but not the console nor the connector.
After a couple hours of troubleshooting, Scott's suggestion is what solved my problem:

I just added an entry with the address of my windows home server to the hosts file on my laptop. Go to \windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and edit 'hosts' file. add the ip address of WHS and its name.

many thanks Scott!
jim

January 15, 2010 11:00 PM

I've had my EX-485 now for a little over 1 year. In that time, everything has worked perfectly (well almost). I had two WinXP desktops and added two laptops with wireless connection. About a month ago, I got rid of one of the XP desktops, built a new windows 7 HTPC and upgraded the other desktop to Windows 7 professional. About 2 weeks ago I started getting the gray system tray icon and when I hover over it, it says "Windows Home Server - Not connected to server". When I try to log into the console, I get the error message: "This computer cannot to your home server. Check your network connection...
When I try to reset the server from the console login screen, I get the same error. Double-clicking on the shared folders icon on my desktop, I get an error message that Windows cannot access the server, check the spelling or there may be a problem with the network. This is happening with all four computers so I don't think adding the server name and address to the hosts file will fix this although I tried it on one of the laptops anyway and it made no difference.
The ONLY thing that fixes this is restarting the server manually by hitting the power button on the back.
This is, needless to say, very annoying. I've searched the HP support knowledgebase and could not find an article relating to this. Anyone have any ideas? About the only thing that has changed is that my free year of DNS with TZO ran out so I renewed but kept the same domain name.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Vlip

March 20, 2010 2:09 PM

Oh my god, I have the same issue, it was working just fine, I have EX470 and when I upgraded 2 of my computers from XP PRo to Win 7 it starts to turn gray after 3-4 days, I restart it works and then same, it is so stupid and annoying, any one help, HP do you know of issues between WIn 7 and this device..

March 23, 2010 7:21 PM

I have exactly the same problem. I think I've read all the relevant advice in the forums and have done everything except reinstall the server software (really don't want to do that). The server will stay up for a few hours (not exactly sure how long) when I hard reboot it but, the next day, it's off the network. I'm pretty close to throwing this piece of garbage out the window. Help!

March 23, 2010 8:30 PM

You will need to look at the server logs. Something is happening and if you have the original system drive it would be my first thing to check as it may be failing.

March 24, 2010 7:00 AM

I looked at the event logs and, while there are some errors, none of them are disk errors and only one of them seems relevant:

Event 36870
A fatal error occurred when attempting to access the SSL server credential
private key. The error code returned from the cryptographic module is 0x6.

I do have the original system drive and have occasionally seen "file conflicts" reported but these generally disappear on the next reboot (presumably because there is a file system check executed).

Discussion:    Back to Top | Comments 1-14 of 14 | Latest Comment

Thread is locked, no more posts may be added.

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

close this window
close this window