FAQ: HP MediaSmart Server ex485 and ex487 (Page 3 of 9)
Categories: HP MediaSmart Server
Q. Why would a customer select the HP MediaSmart Server over NAS storage products such as Buffalo or Infrant?
A. As a full-fledged server, the HP MediaSmart Server offers a more comprehensive and integrated solution than network storage products that use third party add-on software for backup, media streaming, etc. Other differentiators include:
- Automatic organization of media from all of the PCs on the home network.
- Media streaming to devices on the home network or remote devices on the internet.
- Secure remote access to files stored on the Server.
- Secure remote access to PCs and their applications on the home network (for remote computer access, the network computer must be running Windows® XP Professional, Media Center Edition 2005 or Windows® Vista Ultimate).
- Unique HP Photo Publisher and HP Photo Viewer features for secure and easy photo sharing right from your server, or through popular social networking websites.
- Based on Microsoft’s Windows® Home Server software, the HP MediaSmart Server is highly integrated with Windows clients and includes Windows® Media Connect media streaming functionality.More sophisticated storage management with selective folder duplication. Folder duplication is superior to RAID in that you don’t have to duplicate those folders that don’t need it – for instance, TV shows and PC backups (which are already a duplicate of what’s on the PC).
- More powerful, integrated backup and restore software for PCs, including individual file restore. And integration with Apple Time Machine for Mac backup.
- The Windows platform makes the HP MediaSmart Server an extensible platform for new applications and services in the future.
Q. Why would a customer buy the HP MediaSmart Server, as opposed to reconfiguring an old desktop or building a Home Server from scratch ?
A. Although some tech enthusiasts may enjoy building their own Home Server, research shows that the majority of customers do not have the technical know-how or desire to build or reconfigure a computer in this manner. And in the end, they may find that the home-built system has shortcomings like low performance, consumes excessive power, is not cost effective, or combination of any of these in relation to the MediaSmart Server.
The HP MediaSmart Server is specifically designed to be an always-on device that is optimized for total cost, low power consumption, high performance for media streaming, automatic data backup, and file sharing on the home network and over the internet.
General Questions - Page 2 | Competition - Page 3 | New Features - Page 4 | Core Features - Page 5 | Server Storage - Page 6 | Data Protection - Page 7 | Media Features - Page 8 | Remote Access - Page 9