Has anyone installed the MediaSmart Connect software on the MSS? I was curious as to how that would work, or is working if its been done yet.
In order to download movies and acquire licenses on the Server we need to download the CinemaNow Media Manager (CNMM) to the Server:
- Open IE in the remote desktop window. Note that you may need to work through some initial Internet Explorer configuration screens. Also, if you need to work through a proxy server, be sure to configure that in IE.
- The CinemaNow screens may be copyrighted, so I won't show screen shots of these; hopefully the descriptions will suffice.
- I last found the CNMM at http://www.cinemanow.com/MediaManagerInstall.aspx. You may need to search around to find the Media Manager download. Click Install Now.
- On the pop-up security dialog, click Run. This will start the download. After the download, you'll probably get another Security dialog; again click Run.
- This will start the installer. Click Next on the start page; then accept the license agreement and click Next; then click Next again to accept the default installation location; and finally click Install to actually start the install.
- When the installation finishes, you'll be asked to select the movie download location. Here's where we'll see some low-level Server details - made available by the RDC. Instead of just seeing the shared folders as we do from a client PC; we must now browse the actual file system of the Server. Click Browse and navigate to D:\shares\Videos\CinemaNow and press OK in the browser dialog. Then press Next in the installer dialog.
- You'll then see a dialog prompting for a name for the download device. This is the name you'll see on the CinemaNow site when looking through the transaction history. I'd recommend keeping the default name (the name of your Server)
- You should then see a warning about the information bar. Near the top of the screen, the information bar should be yellow and indicating that the Website wants to run the add-in CinemaNow Media Manger Client Control. Click Close to dismiss the warning dialog. Then click in the information bar, and click Run ActiveX Control in the menu that drops down.
- You'll then see another pop-up dialog asking if you want to run the ActiveX Control; click Run. This will take you back to the Media Manager Install page. You can now close the IE window.
- You'll now see the installer Finish page. Uncheck the Start Media Manager checkbox and click Finish.
Now we're ready to go to the CinemaNow Website, register, browse for a movie, purchase the movie and download it.
- While still in the remote desktop window, Open IE and browse to www.cinemanow.com.
- Select Register and fill out the registration form.
- Browse into Buy Movies, select a movie, click Buy Now, enter the coupon code that came with your Server and Checkout (if you already used your coupon, you'll have to go through the purchase process).
- After you finish the checkout process, you'll be taken to the Confirmation and Download screen. Make sure "this PC" is selected and press Start Download.
- The Media Manager will be started. You can close the IE window and watch the download progress in the Media Manager window.
- The Media Manger will indicate that the movie is ready to watch after a few minutes (after enough has been downloaded to provide sufficient buffering). However, this indication is for PCs where the movie will be watched on the PC. In our case we're going to use the built-in media server to stream the movie to DMR; so it's best to wait for the entire movie to be downloaded.
- When the download is complete, you may close the Media Manager, but for the first download just leave it open since we will need it again with the next part.
The Media Manager provides a UI to view your media library and monitor the progress of your downloads. It also allows you to play the movies - however, the experience through a remote desktop connection is very poor - so we won't normally use this feature. However, before any movie can be streamed from the Server, we must initialize Windows Media Player by a process called individualization. The easiest way to do this is to run it, this first time only, within the Media Manager:
- After the download is complete, within the Media Manager go to the My Library tab and click the Watch Now button.
- This will start Windows Media Player (WMP) within the Media Manger Window. You will see a dialog appear indicating that a Security Upgrade is needed. This is the individualization step. It causes WMP to download a special library with a unique certificate embedded in it which is then used to lock all movies to your Server. Click Yes.
- After a few seconds you will see the movie start to play in a sub-window of the Media Manager. Press the pause button to stop playback and close the Media Manager.
Finally, in order to stream your movie to a DMR, you must enable Windows Media Connect to stream Videos. This is done through the Home Server Console's Settings dialogs:
1. Start the Home Server Console (as described above).
2. Click on the Settings button near the top right of the HSC. Click on Media Sharing in the left pane, then click to enable Videos in the right pane and click OK.
3. Close the HSC.
Your movie is now ready to stream to a DRM-capable DMR. Some examples of DRM-capable DMRs are: HP's MediaSmart TVs, HP's MediaSmart Connect (DMR), Dlink DSM-520, Xbox 360.
You can now close the RDC. In the future, to download a movie, follow these steps:
1. Start an RDC session to your Server
2. Start IE on the Server and browse to the CinemaNow site. Find, order and start the download of your movie.
3. You can monitor the Media Manager to tell when the download is complete, or close it and just allow sufficient time for the download to complete (e.g., overnight).
4. Close the Media Manager, close the RDC.
5. Browse for the movie from your DMR and play it.
I got the cinemanow to load on the WMS but not able to watch it from my connected PC's. I downloaded the cinemanow manager to both WMS and PC but not able to get the PC verison to work. I pointed the Library to the WMS share. I followed the instructions of this article. However I did not get the sub menu when the movie started. Any help would be appreciated.
I tried this but when I select "Watch Now" from Media Manager and the Microsoft Medea Player flashes up the security upgrade dialog box (which I accepted) I get a License Acquisition error message for "licenseserver2k4.cinemanow.com" that says "This type of document does not have a security certificate". It will not play the rental movie, just hangs at this last dialog box. This just doesn't work for me. Any help available?
I have used Melodycan, it's really a good drm remover to remove drm and convert protected music and movies)