< <
OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community Explore3DTV TechLore DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

How To Restore the HP MediaSmart Server

If in the event you need to restore your HP MediaSmart Server due to a hard drive failure on the primary drive or factory reset your server to a like-new condition, you can do this by using the Server Recovery Disc which was included with your HP MediaSmart Server. This guide will walk you through the process of restoring your server using the Server Recovery Disc.

Server Recovery attempts to recover all data and restore the folders. However, because of the state of the system prior to the recovery, not all data may be able to be recovered or integrated into the folder structure.
Choosing Server Recovery or Factory Reset?
How to chose which process to use.
CAUTION: During Server Recovery , all system settings, such as User Accounts and Photo Webshare settings, are lost. You will need to recreate them. During Factory Reset , in addition to loosing all system settings, the data on all drives is lost.
The following table will help you determine whether to choose Server Recovery or Factory Reset.
Choosing Server Recovery or Factory Reset
Server Recovery Factory Reset
Server operating system has been corrupted. The partition data on the other storage drives is corrupted.
Disk replacement - partition data on other storage drives are okay. Giving away or selling the server. See the caution below this table.
If you have lost your password.
Server’s system hard drive has been replaced.
CAUTION: Factory Reset does not remove data from the drives; instead it allows the existing data to be overwritten. To insure that your data can never be accessed, use a “shredder” program that overwrites the hard drives with random numbers or meaningless data.
Recovering or resetting the server
CAUTION: Steps for performing a Server Recovery or Factory Reset. To recover or reset the server Use the Server Recovery Disc from a computer using a wired connection to the router (or switch). A wireless connection is not recommended. Additionally, if the server is some distance from the computer you are using for Server Recovery or Factory Reset, it may be more convenient to move the server near the computer.
  1. If the HP MediaSmart Server Control Center is open on your computer, close it before proceeding.
  2. Insert the Server Recovery Disc into a DVD drive in a computer connected to the network by an Ethernet cable.
    The Server Recovery program automatically starts.
    Figure 1: Starting Server Recovery
  3. Click Next .
  4. Uninstall HP MediaSmart Server and Windows Home Server Connector:
    • Click Start , Control Panel and select Add or Remove Programs .
    • Click on HP MediaSmart Server , click Remove .
    • Click on Windows Home Server Connector , click Remove .
    Figure 2: Server Recovery dialog box
  5. Prepare the server for recovery or reset:
    1. On the back of the server, hold in the Power button for at least 4 seconds to force the server to shutdown.
    2. After the server is completely off, locate the recessed Status/Recovery button on the front of the server and prepare to press this button with a paper clip.
      Figure 3: Location of the Status/Recovery button
    3. On the back of the server, press the Power button to restart.
    4. While the Health indicator is blinking blue and red , use a paper clip to press the recessed Status/Recovery button until it clicks.
      Recovery mode is initiated.
    5. If recovery mode is successfully initiated, the Health indicator light blinks purple and red repeating.
  6. On the Rebooting your server into recovery mode dialog box, click Next , and then follow the instructions on each dialog box.
    During the recovery process, the following may happen:
    • If the recovery program cannot find the server, see No server found.
    • If the Server Recovery cannot recover the partition data, the progress bar will go to 100% and then back to zero and start over.
    • If the recovery fails, see Recovery fails.
  7. After the Server Recovery or Factory Reset completes, the server automatically restarts. Before taking the next step wait until the Health indicator light is solid blue .
  8. You must reinstall the software on each of your computers, including the computer that you used to perform the recovery - otherwise, you won’t be able to use the server.
  9. Click Finish on the Server recovery complete dialog box.
    The HP MediaSmart Server software will automatically be installed on the computer where you performed the Server Recovery or Factory Reset.
    CAUTION: If you did not close the HP MediaSmart Server Control Center, as indicated in step 1, you may see a message asking you to reboot your computer. If you see this message, choose to reboot later. Otherwise, rebooting may leave the server in a state where it cannot be configured, and you will have to repeat the recovery or reset process.
      NOTE: It takes a few minutes for the server to go through the finishing process. Please be patient.
  10. To install the software on other client computers, see Installing the Software on Additional Home Computers.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-25 of 92 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 4 Next »

August 5, 2008 9:13 AM updated: August 5, 2008 7:13 PM

I found this document on HP site, but I found the error recovery discussion lacking. When I attempt the steps outlined, I get the server not found error. But when I power down the server and restart, the server seems to be working fine (without the restore). The only indication of any problem is the flashing blue light (Health indicator).

A couple of (silly) questions:

1) My disk is in my PC and I remove the software from my pc, correct? I don't remove any software from the server?

2) When I power up the server, and the light flashs red/blue, I use the paper clip and the light now is a steady red. Is this expected?

3) I then try a PC that was connecter to the server, no server found. I go to a brand new PC (never connected to the server) and I get the same error. Am I doing something wrong?

Can anyone comment on their experiences doing the system restore? For example, when you set the restore mode using the paper clip, what happens to the server? I an unsure that the server is actually in system restore mode.

Mike

October 1, 2008 8:57 PM

hi,
in first time, you should be sure that your LAN,router , windows firewall and TCP/IP NETBios setting is right (have a look on hp guide). The HD key lock too.

twice, you should remove all the HD and USB key that you have inserted on the server, except the first HD.

successively, power on the hp server and when the power light flash blue and red, press the button with the paper clip fast (1 sec), so launch the recovery software.

If the power light is flashing blu and red when the software finding the server, you can be shure the connection will be right.

My english isnt good, but i hope you'll understand.
bye

View unverified member's comment - posted by Brother_52

October 5, 2008 11:51 AM

Same problem here, can't initiate the server restore, the light is blinking red after pushing the

View unverified member's comment - posted by Brother_52

October 6, 2008 2:58 PM updated: October 6, 2008 3:01 PM

Brother_52 said: I had the same problem, but found that (as mentioned above) the only way to get this to work is to ensure that NO usb drives are plugged into the unit. Once it is clear of USB drives, it will go into restore mode. However, as an aside, this then gave me another problem, as server recovery constantly failed, meaning that I had to do a factory reset in the end. As some of my external drives were in the storage pool, I couldn't connect them during this and as a result am having to manually transfer all the data back (so far has taken 2 days and only 50% there).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a stupid question: are you sure that you have unlock the first hard drive? and removed all the HD? (except the first)
 I've done a recovery, the image recovery seems all right but i've problem with the software connector for complete and run the first installation guide.
The recovery system told me that the recovery is done and it need to restart the server for complete the installation and to install the software on my pc. after a restart automatically it lunch the software on my pc, but i've an error code about the language software. so im forced to browse the CD and lunch all the software manually (.net framework 2.0, windows installer, HP Update and the server connector) but the  connector software dont find the server.
I've look with some software about the IP of the smartserver but it dont takes any IP from DHCP during this step (while in recovery mode is ok)
the reason for the error language maybe is becouse the my HP smartserver is imported from UK and i dont have an OS in english (this is an opinion).
 Someone know how i can connect, with the server connector, my smartserver after the recovery?
 thks at all...sorry for my english

October 7, 2008 11:11 AM

I've just restored my server 3 times in a week and it was easy all 3 times.

1st make sure that your MSS and laptop/desktop are on the same network/router

2nd uninstall the MSS Console from your Laptop/desktop

7th go back to your laptop/desktop and click next to find the server.

If you're doing a restore......

DO NOT QUIT AT THIS POINT OR YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR DATA.

Follow the setup process and you're done!

William
Sheffield, England

View unverified member's comment - posted by Eazytime

View unverified member's comment - posted by Eazytime

October 19, 2008 5:11 AM

louca001 said: I've just restored my server 3 times in a week and it was easy all 3 times. 1st make sure that your MSS and laptop/desktop are on the same network/router 2nd uninstall the MSS Console from your Laptop/desktop 3rd insert the server recovery DVD into your laptop/desktop and follow it until it gives you instructions on how to put the MSS into recovery mode. 4th make sure that your MSS is off (To force shutdown hold the power button for 4 seconds) and that there are no USB devices plugged it. 5th (make sure you have a pin ready first) turn on your MSS and wait for the OS light to flash Blue and Red. When this happens press the recovery mode button ONCE with the pin! 6th wait (Approx 30 seconds) for the OS light to flash Red and Purple (You may need to step back to see this as it may look like Red and Blue close up) 7th go back to your laptop/desktop and click next to find the server. 8th select either restore or reset! (Restore only copies new OS files onto the OS drive - Reset wipes the whole lot and starts again) 9th wait until this process has finished (Approx 60 minutes) and then press next.... If you're doing a restore...... DO NOT QUIT AT THIS POINT OR YOU WILL LOOSE ALL YOUR DATA. You need to let the restore program exit normally and start the MSS setup programme. DO NOT QUIT THE MSS SETUP PROGRAMME! This is where it restores your documents etc. Follow the setup process and you're done! NOTES: I'd suggest that after the setup process has finished and before you create new users that you move all the existing user data as creating new users wipes this off! William Sheffield, England

well louca001, i've done all the steps for recovery smart server, but now i've a problem to connect the server with media server connector software.

The software alert me that the recovery is finished and it need to restart the server for complete some operation. after, it start the media server connector software on my notebook. But the media connector doesnt find my server and the blue light isnt solid but flash blue. So im not able to start with the SO wizard (starting the sistem and add an user) and use my hp mediasmart server.

Do you know something about?

thks

October 19, 2008 5:40 PM

Are your home server and pc on the same network?

Can you log onto your router and see your home server in the devices list?

Reset your MSS and watch the lights. The order should be!

All Blue
Blue, Blue, Flashing Blue and Red
Blue, Blue, Flashing Blue
Blue, Blue, Purple
All Drives should light up at this point
Blue, Blue, Blue/Purple

This completely wipes the drive and rebuilds the server from scratch.

Will

October 19, 2008 5:58 PM

louca001 said: Are your home server and pc on the same network? Can you log onto your router and see your home server in the devices list? Reset your MSS and watch the lights. The order should be! All Blue Blue, Blue, Flashing Blue and Red Blue, Blue, Flashing Blue Blue, Blue, Purple All Drives should light up at this point Blue, Blue, Blue/Purple If your server lights are blue, blue flashing blue for a long time then your server isn't starting and needs to be recovered again. If you have data on your server that you need to save then at this point I would suggest taking out the hard disk and placing it in a USB caddy and manually take the data off the disk. Once you have done this RESET the server to factory conditions using the restore process above. This completely wipes the drive and rebuilds the server from scratch. If you're still having problems then I would contact the retailer and ask for a replacement. Will

in first time (when i start the recovery mode) the server is on the router list.
when the recovery is finished, the wizard recovery alert me that it need to restart for complete the recovery. after the restart, automatically launch the home server software on my pc (.net fix, HP update and another that i dont remember now) at the end, launch the media server connector to inizializate the server. but the software dont find it and the server isnt in dhcp list of the router.The light flashing blue for a long time.

Before my recovery, the server worked good.

thks a lot for your help, i'll should contact hp for support.

bye lele

November 9, 2008 7:59 AM

I have a huge problem in pressing the button and putting the server in recovery mode. I have dobe it once before but it is absolutely impossible now. I press the button with the pin, I feel the clicking sound but the light never goes blinking purple/red. Is there any other way?

November 10, 2008 3:45 AM

Are you just pressing it once and letting go or are you holding it down?

Holding it down doesn't work, pressing it once and letting go should work. If it doesn't then the server has to go back to HP for OS installation.

Hope this helps.

Will

View unverified member's comment - posted by dogbert

January 23, 2009 6:31 PM

I am restoring my server. All has gone well until now -- The message says "installing updates on your home server" and the progress bar says 25%. Nothing seems to be happening. The hard drive bar on the server is purple, and the health indicator is purple too. Any ideas?

February 2, 2009 3:18 PM updated: February 22, 2009 3:38 PM

After updating the HP Software (this was still at version 1.1.1?, date 2007) I have lost the contact with the Server through WHSC. I got a RED Light. I was able to connect through RDC (but not the console).
All I have tried, I could not get the connection back.
I have tried Servery Recovery twice, all went well except the recovery of data failed. The recovery program came with the message of failure and broke of.

Now I have installed a new version WHS on a 1TB WD Green drive. I have got it all working including the last updates. Only blue lights. All conncetions working.
I put in both original drives in slot 2 and 3. I didnot add these to the pool. Still Red drive lights. However I have lost most of my files. The Data file on the old system disk appears to be empty. The Data file on the old second drive still has some data. I have been able to secure some date but not all.

How can I retrieve the lost data? Is there a rebuilding program for this? I am specially interested in the old system disk, where I had som data not doubled.
Can I put the original disk back in place and rebuild?
remember I had lost all contact with the server in fail mode. I can activate the connection with the WHSC software but I am afraid this will definetely destroy all data.

Update 22 february:
I have been able to recover quit some data from the old second disk with the freewareprgramm: Recuva.
The data partition on the old system drive only produced a lrage number of sectorfiles (app. 60.000) I have not been able to make recognisable files of this. Does anyone have ideas for this?

Now I have two WD 1Tb drives intalled. What a difference in noise and temperature! Why doesn't HP use these drives only.

February 6, 2009 1:39 PM

I am having an issue with my home server, a couple of days ago i started to get error messages telling me there was a device I/O error, first on one share, then on 12 out of 18 shares, so i thought i would try to copy the data off the server and do a reinstall, unfortunately this locked up my pc and server.

having searched MS forums, they suggested remote desktop to the server and run chkdsk c:\fs /r (and others after this), this was running fine till about 50% through stage 5, then the server started to reboot and light just flashes blue then seems to reboot again...it has now been doing this for a few hours and im getting worried, i have moved all my data onto the server as its only a few months old, now i think it might all be lost...

Im using the hp media smart ex 475 server with an additional 500gb hdd and a 1tb disk, anyone know if i have lost everything or if i can somehow retrieve the data from these disks??

View unverified member's comment - posted by JED

February 17, 2009 2:16 AM

To update on my problems....tried recovery (as this should preserve my data), which worked, but after server rebooted, blue flashing light again, so before i tried factory reset i removed the drives and copied files to my PC, kind of a pain as i have 2TB of hard disk space in my server and only 1TB in my desktop...but upon checking the system disk, all my files had been removed from it...so i lost about 500GB of files =/

tried many factory resets after doing this and still got blue flashing light after the server rebooted at end....

finally called HP who were extremely helpful, and suggested trying to do factory reset with a diff hard disk in as the main (i was unaware we could use any size disk!) so put my 1TB hard disk in on its own and did factory reset and hey presto, it worked!!!

my suggestion to others who are having this kind of trouble is to get a new hard disk (preferably larger than the ones installed) and try to factory reset onto that...if it works, you can install the sata disks to a pc and copy the files over to the server again....except for the boot disk (which i lost all files from) i only lost 1 file, and my server has been working perfectly again since (fingers crossed!)

hope this helps

View unverified member's comment - posted by Mike_889

February 18, 2009 3:57 PM

Mike_889 said: I have a question, that I hope someone will help me with. My computer harddrive got corrupted a little while ago, lucky I had the it backed up on the server. When I got my computer back I put in the recovery disk to get my files back on my computer. I followed the tasks that I was told about and everything went great. However, when the server came back up I had no files in the hard drive. How do I get my files back as I run a small business and everything that I need for it was on the server. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds to me like you may have accidentally ran the Server Recovery Disc instead of the PC Restore Disc.

View unverified member's comment - posted by Lucas Maciel

April 6, 2009 6:48 AM

After 'successful' restoration of Server and addition of updates , my server go back to restart mode with blinking lights. This has become constant phenomenon and I am sick and tired of going through this agony all the time. Anyone has any suggestions to make this server running.

April 6, 2009 6:54 AM

I have 'successfully ' recovered my HP Media Smart Server so many times. After recovery installation of updates in couple of days time it goes back to restart mode with blinking light forcing me to do recovery once again. This has become constant prctise and after recovery server hardly last for 2 to 3 days. Plz help me with any suggestions to get this server running.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-25 of 92 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 4 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

close this window